As a new archives professional, I am a fan of Kate Theimer’s blog, ArchivesNext. A friend sent me a link to Kate’s recent post about the “OverlyHonestArchivist” hashtag that made its Twitter appearance last week. A few favorites of mine include:
- Actually you CAN find it all with Google Search, but we’re not going to tell you the special keyword to use
- We actually have digitized EVERYTHING and could totally make it available on the web tomorrow. Just don’t want to.
- I’ve had nightmares about being squished in the compact shelving.
- I detest “National Treasure.”
- If you pronounce Archivist ‘archive-ist’ I judge you and find you wanting
- We create elaborate and detailed finding aids for collections we know deep in our hearts will never be requested
- No living person has read the entire OAIS standard.
- All of the pictures on my computer are in a folder called “pics”
- OH GOD NOT ANOTHER SCRAPBOOK
- When I wear white gloves I pretend I’m a character on Downton Abbey
While I’m not personally on Twitter, I do enjoy a good meme and I hope that more creative [and overly honest] archivists get into the spirit of this one.